Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Whole 60 Challenge: Tim Etter




                      






Tim Etter 
Total Body Fat Lost: 1.2%
READ MORE


Day 1: What am I hoping to accomplish with my Whole 60? I have 2 goals. First, I want to be an example of healthy living to my family and friends.  I truly believe that Paleo is the solution to many of life's health problems. I also believe that following a Paleo diet leads to performance gains in various athletic endeavors.  Unfortunately, I talk a good game but live in a way that often sends a different message.  Since many of my family and friends suffer from poor eating choices, I want to lead by example. Sadly, I've had too many conversations where I'm explaining the benefits of going grain, dairy, and legume free only to be caught eating from these various food groups. Can you say hypocrite?  Second, I'm tired of competing against myself.  Why should I continue to sacrifice my gains (physical and performance) to weak moment "cheat" meals and drinking binges that occur all to frequently?  I'm at a point in my life where I like the idea of cheating (food and alcohol) more than the actual cheating.  So, these 60 days are my "all-in" bet.  I'm excited to see what truly eating clean for an extended period will do for me physically, mentally, and performance wise.
Day 60:  Success! These past 60 days have been a big win.  I have to admit, I've been an 80+% Paleo guys since Dec. 2010.  My starting markers were very solid.  I honestly didn't think I would experience the kind of gains that came from this challenge.  Weight, body fat%, BP and cholesterol are all down.  Performance is up.  I've had some of my best strength and time performances since starting CrossFit.  Even better, with the right lighting and angle, you can see my abs (confirmed by my spouse without prompting)!  I can honestly say that I am looking, feeling, and performing better than ever.  I've had many positive conversations with friends and family throughout the 60 day challenge.  Hopefully my example will have a positive impact on their choices.  For sure, I didn't feel like a hypocrite while explaining why I do what I do.  Here's to keeping things buttoned down.  I'm at half-time in my life.  My new promise is that I will not age gracefully.  I'm not going down without a fight.  To steal Mark Sisson's words, I plan to live long and drop dead!

No comments:

Post a Comment