Sunday, July 3, 2011

Whole 30 Challenge: Jan Wojno

"Whole9 is a community focused on health, fitness, balance and sanity, all built on a foundation of real food and healthy nutritional habits." (Whole 9 website) CrossFit Akron athletes put their bodies to the test for 30 days. We've had nothing but success. Here are the stories to prove it.  Please vote at the top of the page for the winner. 
Whole 9 Challenge
Jan Wojno

1.8% body fat lost







The Whole 9 Challenge is certainly that:  A huge challenge, but there is something in my makeup that seems to enjoy taking on a challenge.  It was difficult to follow at times and I was certainly far from perfect, but the results are well worth the effort and thought required to make the 30 days a success.  I notice changes in my body, my attitude, my organization, and my health.  
Initially I noticed the physical changes in my body.  Combined with three CrossFit sessions a week plus some workout sessions on my own, I have felt muscles that I have not felt for a long time.  I have also noticed that I feel stronger, walk with more confidence, stand straighter and do not have that sluggish, weighted down feeling.  Consuming lots of protein, vegetables, and good fats while not consuming the carbohydrates and sugars certainly has been the source of me becoming a “better me”!
Attitude is half of the battle.  I was determined to seize this challenge and I did.  My husband caught my enthusiasm and joined me for the 30 days which was a huge help when preparing our meals.  Again, I was not perfect, but when I got off track, I quickly got back on the track.  Jicama is now a food that I can find in the produce section without a clerk’s assistance.  I got to the point that I could walk past the bakery section with nary a glance.  
This “you can do it” attitude led me to some new organizational skills.  Planning is critical during the 30 day challenge.  If you do not plan your meals, it is difficult to stay on the plan.  The couple of times that I really got off track were when life came at me too fast and I wasn’t ready for it.  My mother-in-law was hospitalized which led us to eat at fast food places by the hospital and I realized afterward the poor choices that I made and that I was eating from emotions.  Let me tell you that emotions do not make for healthy eating choices.







Finally, I have inherited high blood pressure from my parents.  I see my physician every 3 months to have it checked and to see if the medication needs to be increased.  The nurse usually takes my blood pressure 3 – 4 times during an office visit until she gets a reading that satisfies her.  During my last visit, the first reading was excellent.  I give the Whole 9 Plan and my Crossfit sessions all the credit for the good reading.  I believe this will continue and that I will be able to reduce the amount of medication needed.
Wrapping up, I think about food differently now.  We always have a couple of different vegetables along with our dinner instead of a starch that I normally would have served.  I notice that I select foods differently when giving lunch to my grandchildren.  Why would I load their plates with carbohydrates when I know I can give them better alternatives?  The Whole 9 Plan is becoming a lifestyle for us instead of a challenge.



3 comments:

  1. You look fantastic! (Love the new haircut, too.) So glad to see you were able to spread the Good Food Word to your family - having family on board makes a huge difference to your results AND their health. Also fantastic to see that you've got tangible results of your effort in your blood pressure reading, too! Congratulations on your efforts.

    Best,
    Melissa & Dallas
    Whole9

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, I am SO proud of you. I never thought that you would be my partner in all things health and fitness and I love that you're there by my side. Love you!

    ReplyDelete