Saturday, July 2, 2011

Whole 30 Challenge: Cindy Virdo

"Whole9 is a community focused on health, fitness, balance and sanity, all built on a foundation of real food and healthy nutritional habits." (Whole 9 website) CrossFit Akron athletes put their bodies to the test for 30 days. We've had nothing but success. Here are the stories to prove it.  




Cindy Virdo overall results: Body Fat lost=4%







For as long as I can remember, my diet has been very ‘comfortable’.  So, the mere thought of giving up my ‘basic’ food groups (bread, yogurt, pasta and Diet Coke) frightened me.  Could I live without my ‘basics’?  Would I be able to do without my traditional meals? Will this Whole 9 Challenge really be worth it to me?
 Once I decided to move forward with the challenge, I told myself if I am going to do this, I WILL do it 100%. This is one time my stubbornness worked to my advantage; cheating was not an option for me.
The first step was planning. Cooking has always been foreign to me and I would never plan a full day’s meal let alone a full week of meals.  Pre-planning meals was a vital key in this lifestyle change. Since I have never been a person that would vary meals or food choices, cooking became something that I knew I would have to experiment with. It was difficult to find foods/meals that appealed to me. I researched in depth to find recipes that would make meals interesting.  This challenge has made me realize that making a healthy home cooked meal is not punishment!  I have also found that I actually enjoy cooking now!  I even bought a food processor



Through the months of February and March, I am at a swim meet for 6 consecutive weekends.  I have been coaching swimming for over 25 years and each year after our District and State Meet, I would always celebrate by eating the same ‘traditional’ meal….. Kraus’ Double Crust Pizza and a Friendly’s Reese Pieces Sundae.   It was always my high school season ending personal celebration.  I found that I did not miss it this year.  My personal celebration was that I confidently knew that I did not  NEED it.

The Whole 9 Challenge has been EXCRUCIATING yet EXHILARATING.  It started out very tough the first few weeks and has ended as being one of the best things I have ever done for myself….. training at Akron Crossfit ranks number one!  I don’t know if my body fat has changed but my attitude towards food has changed.   I do know that I feel stronger, I have more energy, I am thinking clearer and well…I just feel pretty darn incredible!
 My swimmers knew that Jamie Grigas and I were doing the challenge for 30 days and most of the kids looked at us like we were crazy (especially me without a Diet Coke in hand). They saw first hand that if you are willing to truly commit to something worthwhile no matter how hard it seems at first, the rewards will  be astonishing. 
Was the Whole 9 Challenge worth it??  YES!!  











1 comment:

  1. Fantastic results. I like how your new personal celebration is done without loading yourself up on junk food - that's powerful stuff. Thank you for taking on the Whole30, and sharing your story!

    Melissa & Dallas
    Whole9

    ReplyDelete